(from the Mega. and Greek líthos stone) – buildings made of large blocks of wild or roughly processed stone. These include Dolmens, Menhirs, Cromlechs, Stone boxes, covered galleries. M. widespread throughout the world except Australia, mainly in coastal areas. M. in Europe mostly date from the Eneolithic and bronze age (3-2 Millennium BC), with the exception of England, where M belong to the Neolithic period. The appointment of M. it is not always possible to install. Mostly they were used for burials or were connected with funerary cult. Apparently, M. community structure. Their construction was primitive technology huge challenge and required combining large masses of people.
Menhir (Bretons. menhir, men — stone and hir — long) simplest type of megalithic structures (consisting of a single block of stone, dug into the ground. M reach the height of 4-5 m or more (the largest M height 20 m weighs about 300 tons, is in France). Sometimes M. are long alleys or arranged in a ring. Apparently, M. had a religious significance. Most Meters in North-Western Europe, are also found in Asia and Africa. On the territory of the USSR, disseminated in some regions of Siberia and the Caucasus.
Dolmen Continue reading
The mysterious brick building in Kiev
Strange buildings – the people called their round towers – appeared during the reign of Emperor Nicholas I as objects constructed when the Kiev fortress. Although encyclopedic dictionary “Kiev”, published in 1982, claims that the round tower is only one, in fact six of them.
Tower was built in the heart of the Vasilkovsky fortifications (now Shchors street, 38). Its construction began in 1831 and lasted 6 years. Wall with a gate appeared a little later – in 1838–1839.
The tower was originally two-storey and was intended for the officer’s barracks. It housed the Kiev provincial garrison battalion. However, since 1839 th it was used as a military hospital, and later served as a prison. However, over time she once again became a barracks.
In 1897, on the external facades of the tower cut through the window and over part of the building was built on the third floor. From 1898 th here were stationed the 168th infantry Mirgorod regiment. In 1913 he passed military service member Andrey Eremenko – the future Marshal of the Soviet Union. It is here, within the walls of the tower No. 1, a talented military leader began his military career.
In the summer of 1918 in tower No. 1 is a 4th Sarducci guards regiment of the Hetman Pavlo Skoropadskiy. One of the officers of this regiment, Mikola Yanchevskii, two years later became the General-the cornet of the UPR army. In Soviet times, in the tower Continue reading