Nicholas Cathedral in Kiev. The Catholic Church and the national house of organ and chamber music in the same building
The first impression of an architectural work may be associated with the fact that You have moved in space and time. The building of the Gothic style in the business center of Kiev – not a common occurrence… Unusual forms of construction solutions instantly attracts attention. Maybe You have a speculation that this is the castle, the temple, or, for example, a theater… What is it actually? We will talk further.
The history of the Church of St. Nicholas has lasted for more than a century. The opening and lighting of the Cathedral took place in 1909. The construction lasted 10 years. 3D layout of the Roman-Catholic Church of St. Nicholas
By the end of the NINETEENTH century the Polish community of Kyiv has increased to approximately 40 thousand people. Alexander’s Church, built earlier, it could not hold on main religious holidays, you need a number of believers. The Polish nobility have a desire to build a second Church in Kiev. Despite the lack of support from the tsarist Russia, the Polish community managed to convince the governors to implement it. Was collected, at that time, a huge amount of donations of $ 500 thousand. Project competition winner was a young architect S. V. Valovsky. Continue reading
Park Kremlin period
In the Kremlin in the coming months will decide the 14-th building, located between the Spassky gates and the Senate Palace. The building of the Soviet period is not included in the register of monuments, and, according to experts, architectural value is not. The vacant place is scheduled to make an archaeological Park or to recreate the buildings of the two monasteries destroyed at the turn of the 20-30-ies of the last century. The oldest of them – miracles – was founded 650 years ago.
The administration of the President of the Russian Federation has extended the message in which, in particular, reads: “pursuant to the instructions of Russian President Vladimir Putin, announced in July last year, the Office of the President of the Russian Federation after carrying out all necessary preparatory work, calculations and consultations, including with representatives of the Ministry of culture of Russian Federation, Institute of archaeology Russian Academy of Sciences and the Russian Commission for UNESCO, made the decision to dismantle the 14th corps”.
We will remind: in the summer of last year Vladimir Putin in the Kremlin hosted a meeting with Moscow mayor Sergei Sobyanin, the commandant of the Kremlin Sergei Khlebnikov, the rector of Moscow architectural Institute Dmitry Shvidkovsky, and the Deputy Director of Moscow Kremlin Museums Andrei Batalov.
The conversation was about the plans of the Kremlin. Given that the reconstruction of the 14th corps was at an impasse due to severe technical state of the building, the head of state proposed to take the house apart to have an opportunity to recover Continue reading
The mysterious brick building in Kiev
Strange buildings – the people called their round towers – appeared during the reign of Emperor Nicholas I as objects constructed when the Kiev fortress. Although encyclopedic dictionary “Kiev”, published in 1982, claims that the round tower is only one, in fact six of them.
Tower was built in the heart of the Vasilkovsky fortifications (now Shchors street, 38). Its construction began in 1831 and lasted 6 years. Wall with a gate appeared a little later – in 1838–1839.
The tower was originally two-storey and was intended for the officer’s barracks. It housed the Kiev provincial garrison battalion. However, since 1839 th it was used as a military hospital, and later served as a prison. However, over time she once again became a barracks.
In 1897, on the external facades of the tower cut through the window and over part of the building was built on the third floor. From 1898 th here were stationed the 168th infantry Mirgorod regiment. In 1913 he passed military service member Andrey Eremenko – the future Marshal of the Soviet Union. It is here, within the walls of the tower No. 1, a talented military leader began his military career.
In the summer of 1918 in tower No. 1 is a 4th Sarducci guards regiment of the Hetman Pavlo Skoropadskiy. One of the officers of this regiment, Mikola Yanchevskii, two years later became the General-the cornet of the UPR army. In Soviet times, in the tower Continue reading