The Gothic quarter
The Gothic quarter
The Gothic quarter is the historic value for Barcelona, it is easy to get along with buildings from the Renaissance, Roman buildings and structures in the neoclassical style, which came to us not in the best form. The official name of the “Gothic quarter” was in the early 20-ies of the last century. In this area of Barcelona is also located the Cathedral, so it’s also called “the Cathedral” quarter.
Medieval market square (Placa Nova) appeared in the late fourteenth century served as the beginning of the Gothic quarter. During this period the whole city was surrounded by ancient Roman walls, part of which was the Roman head, today they can be found in Plaza Nova. The remains of a Roman aqueduct preserved in the market square and to our time. In the era of the Romans the city was called Barcino – this word will create a visual “poem” of Catalan artist Joan Brossa.
Also in this center is a couple of the city’s attractions: the Palace of the Bishops of Barcelona and the house of archdeacon Lewis Deeply.
The Palace of the Bishops of Barcelona does not belong to the Baroque era, despite the fact that he has a Baroque facade. The building was built on ancient Roman foundations that sharply contrasts with the built in the twentieth century by the building of the College of Architects. Its facade was made by Pablo Picasso in his characteristic style.
The house of the archdeacon Lewis Disply still known as Casa del Ardiaca (Casa de l Ardiaca). The back of this home consists of ancient Roman walls. In addition, in the building there is a Roman tower. Most likely, at the beginning of the second Millennium it was rebuilt several times, because you can see many Gothic and Renaissance elements. The property is a fountain, and the upper terrace, built in the sixteenth century. On the facade of the building has a modernist mailbox that was created at the request of the Bar Association in 1895. There are three swallows, symbolizing the independence of justice, also the turtle – bureaucratic delays and procedures. At the moment, in the house of the archdeacon Louis is the city archive of the city.
Street Carrer del Bisbe (Carrer del Bisbe) – this is the main street of the Gothic quarter, which unites the Plaza Nova, Plaza de San Jaume. Plaza de San Jaume is the historical square, which is the centre of political life of Barcelona. The reconstruction of the square was held in 1823. At the same time has created a shopping street of Carrer Ferran (Carrer Ferran). Nearby is located the temple of Augustus, the ruins of which can still be seen – near Plaza de San Jaume.
On the square there are the main administrative buildings of the Catalan government (Catalonia) and city Hall (Barcelona). The Government Palace is connected with the House of Canons, which is a beautiful neo-Gothic bridge. The author of this bridge was Joan Rubió who created it in 1926. Another beautiful building of the medieval Gothic quarter is the house of Canons. One of the facades of the house facing the street Carrer Paradis (Carrer Paradis). At the end of the street for the past two thousand years are Corinthian columns belonging to the temple of Augustus. Then the temple stood directly over Barsine, situated on a slight hill Mont Taber. It is considered that the temple of Augustus was erected in the first century BC.
Plaza del Rey (Plaça del Rei) – this is a real ensemble of medieval architecture, located near to the via Laetana (Via Laietana). In these parts also located the Grand Palace, which from the thirteenth to the fifteenth century was the residence of the counts in Barcelona. The history of the Palace dates back to the eleventh century. In architectural terms there is no Revival, and Gothic and Romanesque styles. Impresses with its size throne hall, located inside the Palace. The architectural complex of the building includes a large watchtower of king martí (1555), and the Saint Agatha chapel (XVI century).
Another Palace is located at Plaza del Rey – the Palace of the Governor, or the so-called Palau del Lloctinent (Palau del Lloctinent). This building was restored in the nineteenth century: it is the Archive of the Royal dynasty of Aragon. Amazing complex square completes Casa Clariana-Padellas (Casa Clariana-Padellàs), which today is a Museum of the history of the city. The Museum provides the opportunity to see the remains of the history of ancient Roman buildings, buildings, right under the Plaza del Paradise. The Museum also includes a portion of the Foundation of the temple that stood here during the reign of the Visigoths.