The mysterious brick building in Kiev
The mysterious brick building in Kiev
Strange buildings – the people called their round towers – appeared during the reign of Emperor Nicholas I as objects constructed when the Kiev fortress. Although encyclopedic dictionary “Kiev”, published in 1982, claims that the round tower is only one, in fact six of them.
Tower was built in the heart of the Vasilkovsky fortifications (now Shchors street, 38). Its construction began in 1831 and lasted 6 years. Wall with a gate appeared a little later – in 1838–1839.
The tower was originally two-storey and was intended for the officer’s barracks. It housed the Kiev provincial garrison battalion. However, since 1839 th it was used as a military hospital, and later served as a prison. However, over time she once again became a barracks.
In 1897, on the external facades of the tower cut through the window and over part of the building was built on the third floor. From 1898 th here were stationed the 168th infantry Mirgorod regiment. In 1913 he passed military service member Andrey Eremenko – the future Marshal of the Soviet Union. It is here, within the walls of the tower No. 1, a talented military leader began his military career.
In the summer of 1918 in tower No. 1 is a 4th Sarducci guards regiment of the Hetman Pavlo Skoropadskiy. One of the officers of this regiment, Mikola Yanchevskii, two years later became the General-the cornet of the UPR army. In Soviet times, in the tower was stationed spare parts of the red army.
In 1833, at the cave began to build three more similar facilities. Of them today the most famous tower located on the Boulevard of Lesya Ukrainka opposite of elite microdistrict “Tsarskoye Selo” (although the official “residence”: Shchorsa street, 44). It is a supermarket, as well as the offices of different companies.
Tower was built in 11 years. It was intended to house the battalion and was connected with tower No. 1 defensive wall, which is partly preserved. In 1863 the tower “was converted” in remand prison. In particular, there were participants of the Polish uprising, suppressed by Russian troops. Prisoners are preparing an escape, managed to dig an underground passage. At the end of the trial of Polish patriots, the tower again became a barracks.
In the same 1833-m began to build the tower located in the rear building of the Central election Commission. Due to the small dimensions it was called “small tower”. It was built as a defensive barracks for up to 500 soldiers and 22 guns. Tower No. 2 its associated earthworks on the site which was later built an archery shooting range, not extant. In the late nineteenth century are no longer relevant the crenels were converted into Windows, and the building was turned into a prison for civilians.
In the twentieth century offered different versions of this original building. Recently here, for example, was going to place a water Park. However, the fate of this building remains undetermined.
The construction of tower , located in the Pechersky Spusk, 16, also started in 1833, but it lasted a record time of 13 years. Unlike other this tower was used to store provisions and ammunition. Nothing surprising: the object was used by the Quartermaster’s Department. Despite the peaceful nature, the tower was armed with 25 guns and 168 guns. It was built by the famous fortifier engineer-General Karl Opperman. However, by the time the General was dead, and for this tower, apparently just adapted one of his projects, made for Sveaborgskaya fortress.
In the late nineteenth century, the battlements were filled, instead of them there were window slits. In the Soviet time was adapted to the needs of the Ministry of defence. Now there is a plumbing shop.
Only in 1838-m began to build the tower №3 (street Shchorsa, 34). This is the most “fast” an object such profile – building had lasted just two years. The building was intended for the quartering of battalion with artillery and small arms. Feature of tower was that it had a Church. In this Church in 1841, moved from the neighbouring estate, due to demolition, the dust of the field Marshal Prince Alexander Prozorovsky. According to the decree of Emperor Nicholas I, the tower was given the name of the Prozorovsky.
In 1863 part of the premises of the tower was adapted to the military court and chambers for 830 prisoners. In 1918, when Hetman Skoropadsky, tower No. 3 was located in the 4th armored division, which served as 25-year-old George knight Viktor Shklovsky – later a famous writer and memoirist. This division, by the way, is mentioned in a novel by Mikhail Bulgakov “the White guard”.
Tower (Moscow street, 8) was built in 1846–1851. Since 1854 it was used as a hostel servants of the Kyiv artillery Arsenal. A century later, in 1967–1969, the tower was three-storied. Today the building is a dining room of factory “the Arsenal”. All six towers are monuments of fortification architecture and its unusual appearance, no doubt, give the city a unique flavor.