The temples in Bangkok
Other Temples in Bangkok
In addition to the popular and world-famous temples of Bangkok, the city still has many of the interesting places of worship that most guides fail to mention.
Wat Benchamabopit (the Marble temple)
Wat Benchamabophit (Wat Benchamabophit) is one of the most beautiful and popular monasteries of Bangkok, being at the same time and most modern city temple. It was designed by the son of Rama IV and was built during the reign of Rama V, during the second half of the XIX century, made of marble, which is not very characteristic of Thai construction.
Construction began in 1901 during the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V). For the construction of ubosot Scotism in style, with three-tiered roof was used white Carrara marble for a lot of money delivered from Italy. The building combines both Thai and European features.
In the courtyard of the temple, there are more than 50 Buddha statues, which resemble the famous statues from various countries and provinces. In the main hall stored the ashes of King Chulalongkorn.
In the Park of the monastery, in the pool, live the sacred turtle – symbol of longevity, while in the channel flowing through the temple grounds, is home to the giant catfish is a sacred fish.
If you exit the Temple and visit the channel, you will see a small platform with the drums is an ancient type of hours. The monks responsible for the time, always the drums and beat the allotted time. Time each day corresponded to a different drum. Ibid, for the channel are monks Kuti. Guides are asked not to enter this territory, so as not to disturb the novices.
Being on top of religious significance, the temple Bowon Niwet Vihan is a special Holy place, because of long-standing connections with the divine Royal native, making it especially important for Thais. Located on the northeastern side of the island Rattanakosin (Rattanakosin) Bangkok. within the old city walls, on the street Phra Sumen Rd, it was founded in 1826 by Prince, His Royal Highness Mahou Sakdapolrak (HRH Prince Maha Sakdipolsep), the son of King Rama III.
Its history can be traced deep back, to the first Abbot of the monastery in 1836. He is none other, as the Prince of Bhikku Mongkut (Bhikku Mongkut), who later agreed to take the throne to become King Rama IV. Before that, he spent 27 years in the clergy, and 14 as the Abbot of Wat Niwet Bowen Vihan (Wat Bowon), which is considered the second most important Buddhist University of Thailand. Kings Rama VI, Rama VII and His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej (HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej ) were spelled out here, making this place the main temple of the Chakri dynasty (Chakri). Recently, this Royal tradition has continued with the Prince Vajiralongkorn (Prince Vajiralongkorn ) and his own sons, spending time here as monks.
The complex consists of a large ubosot, with elaborately carved arches, doorways and Windows in gilded plaster. The pediment is decorated with glazed ceramics, representing the strong influence of Chinese architecture. There are several rare and highly respected Buddha images including Phra Savannaket (Phra Suwannakhet), Nirantara Phra (Phra Nirantarai) and Pattacini Phra (Phra Phuttachinnasi), which is believed to have been created in 1357. Behind the main hall is a large Chedi covered in gold leaf, and surrounded by four low Golden prangs.
In the structure of the temple is a small courtyard. The Windows and the pediment small ubosot, hall or location, made of gilded wood, while inside, in the altar sits the famous statue of the Buddha – Phra Phra Buddha Norasee Trilokachet, dated from the reign of King Rama I. Around the main statue are 15 of the Buddhas created in the same period, as well as a pair of fangs of an elephant, carved of black wood. In the monastery there is a statue of King Taksin, the predecessor of the Chakri dynasty (Chakri). In front of the temple there are two Chedi, in the style of Hye Jeom (Jom Hae), with a wide base and a pointed top.